Here are 10 tips to make your home safer for your family and visitors:
- Remove small throw rugs on smooth surfaces or tape down with carpet tape to insure lack of movement
- Install grab bars in the bathrooms to aid in mobility
- Keep items you use daily within reach to avoid overstretching and use a step stool for those items out of reach
- Choose footwear that provides the best traction for your surfaces
- Carpeting or carpet strips are great for your stairs
- Clean up spills as they happen
- Don't rush to answer a doorbell or phone call
- Keep shoes against the wall and out of the traffic zone
- Have adequate lighting throughout your house
- Tape down or bundle up extension cords, if possible relocate items needing cords next to electrical outlets.
Safety in your home is achievable with just a few minor changes. Please take the time today to make your home safer.