According to a report by the CDC, 240 people are seen in emergency department everyday for dog or cat related falls.
The study which examined 5 years of emergency room data revealed :
1. 88 percent of fall injuries involved dogs than cats.
2. Among injuries related to dogs:
- 31 percent of persons fell or tripped over dogs.
- 21 percent fell after being pushed or pulled by dogs.
3. For injuries related to cats, 66 percent fell or tripped over cats.
To reduce your risks for pet related falls, the American Veterinary Medical Association recommends obedience training for dogs to reduce behaviors such as pushing and pulling that can cause falls.
Pet related items like toys and food dishes are also a fall hazard. These items should not be placed in walking paths and should be picked up when not in use.
Have you recently visited emergency room or urgent care center (as a patient or a visitor)? If so, please rate your rate health care experience now! The reviews take a few short minutes, but provide others in the community invaluable information when making their health care decision.