Monday, January 24, 2011

Only Takes A Second For Poisoning

It's been years since I looked away for only a moment and looked down to find my two year old drinking children's cough syrup. I called poison control because I had no idea how much was in the bottle prior to him ingesting it. When you are in a situation you sometimes forget how full the bottle was. They told me to give him syrup of ipecac and purge it from his system. Thankfully, he was okay.

If you have young children/grandchildren you may be interested in CDC's recommendations to Keep Young Children Safe from Poisoning:

1.Put the poison control number, 1-800-222-1222, on or near every home telephone and save it on your cell phone. The line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

2. Keep all drugs in medicine cabinets or other childproof cabinets that young children cannot reach.

3. Avoid taking medicine in front of children because they often copy adults.

4. Do not call medicine “candy.”

5. Be aware of any legal or illegal drugs that guests may bring into your home. Do not let guests leave drugs where children can find them, for example, in a pillbox, purse, backpack, or coat pocket.

6. When you take medicines yourself, do not put your next dose on the counter or table where children can reach them.

7. Never leave children alone with household products or drugs. If you are using chemical products or taking medicine and you have to do something else, such as answer the phone, take any young children with you.

8. Do not leave household products out after using them. Return the products to a childproof cabinet as soon as you are done with them.

9. Identify poisonous plants in your house and yard and place them out of reach of children or remove them.

What to do if a poisoning occurs:
1. Remain calm

2. Call 911 if you have a poison emergency and the victim has collapsed or is not breathing. If the victim is awake and alert, dial 1-800-222-1222. Try to have this information ready:
the victim’s age and weight
the container or bottle of the poison if available
the time of the poison exposure
the address where the poisoning occurred

3. Stay on the phone and follow the instructions from the emergency operator or poison control center.

Keeping kids safe from accidental poisoning is very important. Keep the phone number in your cell on a speed dial or in your wallet. Don't hesitate to call, they will let you know if it is nothing to worry about. The followup is also excellent. Poison control representatives call you every few hours over the next 24 hours to be sure no other symptoms are present.

Have tips you want to share? Share them with us on WhereToFindCare.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment