Here is a list of Home Safety Tips offered by the APHA. Please take a moment, read and share these helpful tips:
1. Assess your home for potential hazards such as poor lighting and uneven surfaces to prevent falls.
2. Install and maintain smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
3. Establish a plan for how you would evacuate from your home in the event of an emergency.
4. Make sure all electrical outlets are covered and inaccessible to children.
5. Supervise young children whenever they’re near cooking surfaces and never leave food unattended on the stove.
6. Program emergency numbers, such as the Poison Control Hotline (1-800-222-1222), into your phone to call in the event of a poisoning emergency.
7. Install four-sided isolation fencing at least five feet high and equipped with self-latching gates to prevent drownings in home swimming pools.
8. Store cleaning supplies and medicines in locked cabinets out of the reach of children.
9. Check your hot water heater periodically and adjust the thermostat to 120 degrees Fahrenheit or lower to avoid burns.
Have another home safety tip? Tell us about them and add them here.