Having a baby is very special Just like all the planning that went into other big days in your life, you need to write a birth plan. A birth plan is a document that lists your preferences for the birth of your baby. You should write your birth plan early in your pregnancy. You'll need time to discuss it with your doctor. You’ll also need time to tour birthing centers and hospitals around you.
Here are some questions you will want to consider when writing your birth plan:
- Who do you want in the labor room?
- The delivery room?
- Do you want pain medicine?
- If so, what kind? Is there any medication you want to avoid?
- Are there any activities you would like for pain relief? Some examples: shower, whirlpool, massage, breathing exercises, relaxation music
- Do you want a water birth?Do you want to be mobile during labor?
- Do you want to be able to walk around?
- Did you want to stay in bed?
- Are there certain positions you want for the birth?
- Do you want to record the birth on video?Do you want a guest to stay overnight with you, if needed?
- Do you want your baby continuous monitored?
- What activities do you want to occur after the birth?
- Did you want to breast feed?
- Do you want the baby to stay with you?
Looking for a birthing center?
Choose your state and press Go: