Traveling anytime soon? Unfortunately, bed bug infestations are on the rise. Since bed bugs are typically found where people sleep-like hotel rooms, cruise ships, buses, trains, etc-you run the risk of running into them. And since the little guys are such expert hiders, sometimes it's hard to tell if a place has bed bugs.
Don't bring home these uninvited guests. Take the following precautions to avoid them:
- Inspect your accommodations for bed bugs. They'll hide in places such as seams of mattresses, box springs, folds of sheets, bed frames, headboards, dresser tables, inside cracks or crevices, behind wallpaper, or any other objects around a bed.
- Look for rusty–colored blood spots on the mattress or nearby furniture (these rusty–colored blood spots are due to their blood-filled fecal material that they excrete)
- Keep suitcases closed when they are not in use.
- Keep suitcases off the floor and away from the bed area. (Bed bugs are able to travel over 100 feet in a night but tend to live within 8 feet of where people sleep)
- Keep clothes in your suitcase when you are not wearing them.
- Inspect clothes before putting them back in your suitcase.