- Anyone who is 45 or older (especially if you are overweight or obese)
- For anyone who is 45 or younger, you should consider getting tested if you are overweight and have 1 or more additional risk factors
How do doctors test for diabetes? Just a simple blood test can confirm whether you have diabetes or not.
It's important to get diabetes diagnosed and managed. If not managed- it can lead to very serious health problems with your heart, eyes, kidneys, nerves, gums and even teeth.
Not sure how to manage diabetes? Don't stress, there are medical professional who can help. Diabetes education centers can provide you with information and self-care skills so you can manage your diabetes effectively. Some things taught at diabetes education centers:
- What is diabetes and how it is treated
- How to monitor blood glucose
- How to administer insulin
- Meal planning
- How to manage diabetes with colds/flus